Friday, September 11, 2009

Grandma Knew Best

Sleep...does a good night of sleep exist once you become a parent? This is the question I have been asking myself for almost two weeks. Now I know that I have had it pretty easy so far & that Bailey has been a pretty good sleeper since we brought her home, so what do I really have to complain about? I guess I feel that after not getting enough sleep for any amount of time you're entitled to a little bit of complaining...now onto why this lack of sleep is occuring.

Bailey got a cold the last weekend in August and it lingered around for almost the entire week. I am always so sad when she gets sick, because she just seems so helpless. There is one good thing that happens when she is sick, and that is that she wants to cuddle. A little selfish I know, but my little independent girl could care less about cuddling, and has been that way since birth.

Labor Day weekend rolled around and she seemed to be feeling better she just had a little bit of a cough left. I thought we were on our way back to the normal sleep schedule, but boy was I wrong! The beginning of this week she started waking up 4-5 times a night, and it wasn't just waking up and being a little fussy...it was waking up and screaming like she was in pain. So we tried Tylenol, then we tried Motrin, and then I thought maybe she had more teeth coming in up top so we tried Ambisol, but NONE of them worked! So what do you do when you are SUPER tired and don't know what is wrong with you baby...you call your mom! After telling my mom about how she was acting she said that she thought she might have an ear infection. I didn't really think she did, but I guess I had tons of them when I was a baby and my mom said that I never had any of the normal symptons...I just didn't sleep. I figured what do I have to lose (besides the $10 co-pay) if anything we can rule out one more thing if she doesn't have one. So yesterday morning we headed to the doctor and wouldn't you know it a DOUBLE ear infection. I guess after 20+ years of not having babies my mom has still got it, now it's just called "grandma's intuition." I am so glad I listened to her and went to have her checked out...thanks again Mom! I guess now we just wait for the medicine to kick in and the sleep to return!

5 comments :

Trisha said...

Poor girl! I want all of Bailey's clothes and bedding if I ever have a girl, they are sooo cute.

Pieces of me... said...

Thank heavens for good mothers!!! Amen to that one! Poor little girl, and poor mommy... because it's hard dealing with a child like that when you have NO idea what's going on.... it's stressful, not to mention the lack of sleep adds to it all. I'm glad things are getting better, and hopefully better night sleeps. :)

Grace Hart said...

I'm so glad she's doing better!

The Ball Family said...

Oh my goodness! That new picture at the top is beautiful of Bailey. Ear infections are miserable, and not just for the baby. Don't you just wish Bailey could just tell you what was bothering her.

Jenny said...

i love the new top pic!